Lavender oil is amazing for skin, it has antimicrobial and antiseptic properties that are well suited to its presence in a facial scrub. The exfoliating process is important as it removes dead skin cells from our face. This helps us look and feel younger, but let’s be real – it is like sandpaper on your face. The lavender oil is soothing and restorative, which you will want after exfoliating something as gentle as your face.
When used in conjunction with coconut oil, lavenders effects are even more potent and powerful. Although fractionated coconut oil does not mix with honey, we like it to rinse our face off when we are done. That prevents the pores in your face from clogging, and replaces the feeling of honey drying on your face with soothing moisturizing goodness.
The base of this lavender oil facial scrub is honey and baking soda. The baking soda provides the scrubbing sand paper effect, as it does not dissolve in honey. Now honey is where the recipe gets interesting! Honey has natural antibacterial and antiseptic properties, cleansing your face deep into the pores, and providing a germ free environment for the newly exposed skin cells. It also thickens the recipe, allowing you to get a good grip on the paste, and effectively begin to exfoliate. It gets too thick, in fact, so we water it down a little bit. We like to use raw honey because it contains all the natural enzymes from the bees. When honey is pasteurized, it loses all that wild goodness. We use orange blossom honey because it smells awesome with the lavender, and it has different minerals and compounds in it that clover honey. You’re already getting those compounds from the lavender, so we think it’s better to diversify and get what the orange blossom has to offer. There’s also wild desert honey which would work really well, and not be redundant to the lavender oil.
Here’s a fun variation… Try mixing the lavender oil with frankincense oil to address wrinkles or sun spots while using this scrub.
If you love our recipe and want to buy all the items you see here on Amazon, we’ve assembles that list for you inside this button. Add all the items to your cart, and then just take out anything you don’t need:Shop this recipe on Amazon
- 4 tablespoons raw orange blossom honey
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- 1-2 tablespoons water
- 15 drops lavender essential oil
- Measure out the honey
- Add it to a 4 oz mason jar
- Measure out the baking soda, and add it into the jar of honey
- Add the water a little at a time, stirring constantly
- Without water the mixture will be like cement, we want it to be "saucy". There's no set amount of water, as the viscosity of honey varies greatly. Don't add too much water, or the mixture will drip off your face before you get to use it!
- Add the essential oil, counting the drops with the included dropper
- Label the front, and you're all set
- To use, apply to your face with your fingers, and rub and scrub 'till you can't stand no more : )
- Rinse your face off when you're done, and apply some fractionated coconut oil to moisturize and protect your new face
And since it’s so far up the page, here’s that button one more time:Shop this recipe on Amazon