This recipe for lavender oil hand sanitizer invokes strong feelings from some readers. Many feel that Americans use too much hand sanitizer, and that we are creating resistant strains of super germs in the process. Others feel that there are billions of nasty germs out there, and that we are exposed to very awful things everyday from the surfaces we touch. Personally, I don’t sanitize every time I shake someone’s hand, but I do sanitize my hands if I just touched something disgusting like a slightly wet dollar bill and I am not near a sink and some soap. So, all that said, if you are in the camp of folks that like to have some hand sanitizer on…hand, here is a great recipe for one that features lavender oil as its star.
Lavender oil has some great antimicrobial properties, and the scent is exactly what you want out of a bottle of hand sanitizer. It smells so clean and fresh! This recipe is very easy to make as well, as it is all just measuring out liquid ingredients. The witch hazel is an all-natural astringent, and the rubbing alcohol not only has antiseptic properties, but it evaporates very quickly, which is how the liquid on your hands absorbs, and then disappears. The aloe vera gel provides the thickening, while moisturizing and softening your hands as you sanitize them. The more aloe vera gel that you add, the thicker the mix becomes, and the better it moisturizes your hands, but too much will leave you feeling sticky if it all can’t absorb into your hands. So, if the recipe feels too sticky for you, just squirt some out and replace it with equal parts witch hazel and rubbing alcohol until you’ve dialed it in to your specific preference.
If you love our lavender oil hand sanitizer recipe, we’ve shopped out all the items on saved Amazon cart, accessible by clicking this handy button. You can remove any items you don’t need before you check out, or add them individually from the links in the recipe below.Shop this recipe on Amazon
- 3 tablespoons aloe vera gel
- 2 tablespoons rubbing alcohol
- 1 tablespoon witch hazel
- 12 drops lavender essential oil
- Measure out the witch hazel, rubbing alcohol, and aloe vera gel
- Use a funnel to transfer each liquid into the squeeze bottle
- Add the essential oil, counting out each drop
- Shake well
- Label the bottle with something cute and store it next to your car keys so you won't forget it
- To use, shake well before each use, and apply a puddle the size of a nickel to the palm of your hand. Rub in like you are washing your hands (In case you don't know how to use hand sanitizer!)
For your added convenience, here is that button again:Shop this recipe on Amazon